Sunday, March 21, 2010

Roadtrips

Ahhh, the melancholy that follows a road trip. Especially a road trip to the Hill Country and Austin. It leaves me feeling like I am hopelessly uninteresting.

There are so many people willing to take risks and put themselves out there as artists. It feels like there are stickers and paint everywhere you look in Austin. Would you ever think to paint on a bridge or a building?

They even paint on themselves. We were walking into Anthropologie and Rainey came in and said,  "MOM, MOM...there was a girl with PURPLE HAIR!" Which may come across in written words as judgmental but it sounded more like jealousy. I agree, there is a freedom to be exactly who you want to be there, not to fit into a mold of who you or someone else think you should be.

With SXSW there and spending time with all of our old friends in our old city, it leaves me thinking I've lost my edge. I have come home with a great sense of wanderlust...it reminds me of heading back to Lubbock after a Spring Break road trip to Austin when we were in college. Like I have just returned to my cage...maybe it will pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment